The 20th century was a turning point for the Czech Republic. A huge number of terrible and great events happened during this time: 2 world wars, the Nazis occupation, Prague Spring and much more. In this tour you will have the opportunity to look at the most significant places and monuments of these days.
Every year thousands of representatives of the Jewish nation visit the Jewish quarter in Prague. The fact is that the Jewish quarter (Židovské Město), or “Josefov” (Josefov) is one of the oldest and largest centers of Jewish culture in Central Europe. Jews lived here since the Middle Ages and despite the pogroms and numerous attempts of exile and extermination that occurred during the World War II and Communism the Prague Jewish community managed to preserve the most valuable monuments of Gothic, Renaissance, Baroque and modern architecture in the Jewish quarter.
For example, the Old-New Synagogue (Staronová synagoga) is one of the brightest examples of Gothic architecture in Prague. It was built in the 13th century, it has retained its original appearance to this day and it is the oldest synagogue not only in Prague ghetto but also in the whole Europe.
Another attraction of the Jewish quarter is the Old Jewish Cemetery (Starý židovský hřbitov). This is one of the best preserved Jewish cemeteries in the world. It was probably founded in the first half of the 15th century, the oldest gravestone dates are from 1439, the last burial took place here at the end of the 18th century.
Municipal House is an amazing modern-style architectural ensemble which is extremely magnificent inside. In 1918 the National Committee of the Czech-Slovakia met here. On October 28, 1918, the independence of Czechoslovakia was proclaimed also here. On November 13, 1918, the Provisional Constitution of the Czechoslovak Republic was adopted. And in 1989 the first negotiations of the communist government of Czechoslovakia with representatives of the Civil Forum took place here too.
So, after the hard times of World War II and Communism today the Municipal House is mainly used as a venue for concerts.
Despite the appearance and interior decoration, it is an Orthodox church. But at first it was Catholic and the building itself was dedicated to Carlo Borromeo - the Archbishop of Milan, the Cardinal of the Catholic Church who later became a saint. The construction of the church went on for six years - it began in 1730, ended in 1736.
During the Second World War, Czechoslovak paratroopers hid here (they successfully had attempted to attack Reingard Heydrich- the organizer of punitive actions in the captured countries).
Paratroopers hid in the cathedral for 17 days. The Nazis found out where the group was hiding and surrounded the temple. More than 900 people were involved in the operation. But for six hours they could not enter the temple - the paratroopers fiercely resisted. Realizing the hopelessness of the situation and having been seriously injured as a result of the shootout, they all committed suicide. During the battle, the Germans arrested father Vladimir Petrszek and brought him to church to persuade the paratroopers to surrender. When the battle was over the fascists entered the temple, turned everything around, put Father Vladimir near the icon of the Savior and began to have fun - shoot him with a pistol. This icon with traces of bullets is still kept in the church.
After the end of the war the church of sv. Cyril and Methodius (kostel sv. Cyrila a Metoděje) resumed their activities. The bishop was canonized. A museum «Heydrichians” dedicated to the sad events opened In the crypt of the temple opened a museum dedicated to the sad events - "Heydrichians."
Mon, Tue, Wed, Thu, Fri, Sat, Sun
Beginning at 14.30
Celetná St. 12