The symbol of the Czech Republic - the majestic Prague Castle. Today it is the biggest active castle complex in the world and it is listed on the UNESCO List and Guinness Book of Records. Take a walk here, look at the Capuchin Monasteries, Schwarzenberg Palace, Cernin Palace and etc. We are sure, it will be unforgettable.
The majestic Prague Castle District tour was founded by the prince Borzhivoy, the first of the Přemyslice. In the eighties of the 9th century the prince decided to change the location of his residence to a more strategic place on a hill above the Vltava where the most important paths crossed. Construction of the princely fortress began with a wooden palace.
In the 10th century, the fortress grew, its territory expanded. Then the first stone fortifications appeared and the wooden manor palace replaced the stone structure. In the Gothic period the Cathedral of St. Vitus was built. Under Charles IV the city became the imperial residence. After the crushing fire in 1541 the buildings of the fortress complex were reconstructed in the Renaissance style. Magnificent gardens, the Summer Royal Palace, new noble castles grew on the territory of the District. Under Rudolph II imperial stables, art gallery and the Kunstkamera appeared. The reconstruction of the Baroque-style Castle was initiated by Empress Maria Theresia.
In 1920, Prague Castle became the residence of the first president of Czechoslovakia, Tomas Garriga Masaryk. Changes and redevelopment of buildings and courtyards of the complex occurred during the entire XX century.
In Prague Castle District tour there are a lot of interesting sights, however, we will tell only about 3 of them.
1) St. Vitus Cathedral
St. Vitus Cathedral was proclaimed not only as the national-historical shrine of the republic but also stood out as the most beautiful Gothic buildings in Europe. In addition to high arches, exquisite sculptures and frescoes there are windows decorated with mosaics and narrative fragments from biblical stories.
Not only the archbishops of Prague but also Czech kings are buried on the territory of the pompous temple. The coronation regalia of the Middle Ages are also kept here. By purchasing a ticket, you can walk around the perimeter of the cathedral, take pictures of bulky sculptures and join the centuries-old history.
2) Golden Lane.
The guards of the city lived in miniature houses on Golden Lane some time ago. Zlata street was famous for these buildings which were constructed in the 16th century as an extension to the defense wall. It is also said that alchemists who produced gold, elixirs of eternal youth and the philosopher’s stone for emperor lived on the street.
Over the years the guards lost their need and the houses were settled by various officials, bell-ringer, conductor.
In the 19th century celebrities removed here. For example, in the house № 22 in 1917 there was the office of Franz Kafka.
3) Powder Tower Migulka
The powder tower, restored at the end of the 15th century by Benedict Reed, replaced its predecessor which was destroyed during the great fire in 1541. It is the largest of the cannon towers but, surprisingly, it was never used for its intended purpose. During the reign of Rudolf II there was an alchemical laboratory here, then it was used as a powder depot and the tower’s underground was a place for torture. In our days there is the exposition of the "Castle Guard".
Prague Castle stands on one of the hills, on the high left bank of the Vltava. The residence of the President is still located in this territory. It is guarded by an elite military unit with a hundred-year history - the presidential guard of six hundred military. Tourists specially come to see the change of the Hradni Strazy guard. A solemn ceremony takes place every hour; at noon she is accompanied by an orchestra.
Mon, Tue, Wed, Thu, Fri, Sat, Sun
Beginning at 12.00
Celetná St. 12